I collect content without permission for WP Struggles*. Please visit the original sites, especially to share and comment.
I have almost and partially decimated my WordPress installations. I tried plugins for security, backup, and optimization again. Things had been going extremely well for a long time. The memory spiked and stayed elevated. I uninstalled WordFence hastily, and apparently incorrectly. The host disabled Cron. The site disappeared because I altered a file to correct a problem that created a conflict with a residual WordFence file. Did a full restore from a backup, so I could install then uninstall WordFence according to their instructions – which are very well-done. They have a plugin to remove residual WordFence files as well.
These are not bad plugins, I just can’t use them.
I’ve tried before and did not learn. This time, they either caused site damage, memory/CPU overload, or hung up.
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/ – caused crazy Cron issues
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/bulletproof-security/ – conflict with JetPack
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/rs-head-cleaner/ – the “lite” version. I had problems before, don’t know why I tried it again. The dev is a great guy.
I had to restore with a backup. This is only a part of the latest issues. First installment.
Were it not for my host, HostHoot, my sites would be gone.
*My WP sites serve as my reference collections and notes for everything I do or have interest in for my use only. I use copied content on this MultiSite network toni-two.com and my ESL MultiSite at toni-esl.com.