I have been looking into site compression with Apache. Mainly just curious. I asked my host tech at HostHoot.com support why compress and the advantages of full site compression vs. MIME – text files, scripts. This is the response:
Question > What is Website optimization
1) Website optimization is a phrase that describes the procedures used to optimize – or to design from scratch – a website to rank well in search engines. Website optimization includes processes such as adding relevant keyword and phrases on the website, editing meta tags, image tags, and optimizing other components of your website to ensure that it is accessible to a search engine and improve the overall chances that the website will be indexed by search engines.
2) Website optimization is a phrase used to describe the procedures to optimize the speed at which your website loads in a Web browser. This type of optimization generally involves editing your website to optimize scripts, HTML or CSS code for faster loading. It’s also reduces the number of components such as images, scripts, or video components that are needed to render the web page.
Question > Why Optimize your website?
Optimization increases the quantity and quality traffic to your website. Optimized websites have the following features.
1. Enable the search engines to access more pages within the site.
2. Drive visitors to pages that are more relevant to their search.
3. Attract visitors from the market you are targeting – not just any visitors.
4. Look professional and complete.
5. Are more user-friendly.
6. Are more accessible to physically challenged visitors.
7. Meet the expectations of visitors who choose not to have graphics download when they are viewing Web pages.
8. It will save Bandwidth.
Question > What type of sites are best served by it?
All types of CMS/Wordpress/Joomla sites are recommended for optimization. WordPress is definitely one of the most wide-spread CMSs. However it’s pretty slow in default configuration, especially if the site has a lot of visitors and heavy content.
Question > Full Content vs MIME compression advantages.
“Optimize Website” interface allows you to configure your server to automatically compress specified types of content when visitors access that content. To compress all of your website’s content, select “Compress all content” option. To specify a list of types of content to compress, choose “Compress the specified MIME types” option.
Be advised that enabling compression on all contents in a media-rich website including lots of images might result in slightly higher CPU consumption. They may also raise problems while attempting to download large (compressed) files if “Compress All” was checked. Compression is most efficient on text-based files such as html, xml, js and css. So we recommend you to select the MIME types. For more details, you can refer the below link.